Tuesday, March 6, 2007

CHRIST VS. CRUISE

Romans 1:16-25

"(They) exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles…They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator.” (Romans 1:23-25)

I used to worship Tom Cruise. I wish I was merely kidding. It’s true.

Nope, I didn’t attend a “Cruise Church”. No Cruise Bible sat on my shelf. I didn’t sing Praise & Worship songs which went like, “I worship you, Almighty Tom!” There were no altars with incense burning and Cruise’s photo just above the oranges and roast pork.

But I worshipped him nonetheless. I wanted his glamour, his glory. I wanted to be like him, to talk and walk like him, to use his catch-phrases, to have his smile, to “get the girls” the way he usually does. I wanted to dress like him, to stand the way he stood. I derived my security, my “social stature” from being more like him. Worse of all, I despised anyone who fell short of Tom Cruise – in a word, who didn’t adore my god and strive for the values he represented.

God is everywhere. So are the gods, the shrines, the goddesses, the idols. All who are larger than life.

Is there a Cruise in your life who may have dethroned the Christ of your heart?

Reflections:
1. In twenty or less of your own words (not some Bible study book, *smile*), explain what worship means.
2. Apart from celebrities, name a few other popular 'gods' in today's society.

No comments: