Saturday, March 17, 2007

THE NEW LIFE (PART TWO)

Romans 6:12-23

I consider myself a loyalist when it comes to school spirit. At sporting events I’m happy to stand on the bleachers cheering (more like squealing) on my school mates to do their best for the school. Sadly, there came a time when I found myself changing schools. I found it hard to support and cheer on a different school because I was so used to cheering on my previous school – I eventually had to give up my loyalty to my previous school because I had changed over.

This is exactly what Paul discusses in this passage. When you are baptised in Christ, you are baptised into his death – or, united with Christ in death (verse 5). This also means that we die to our old selves, giving up our ‘loyalties’ to our sin, living new lives in God (verse 6-10). So as Christians we are considered people who have changed sides. We cannot serve two masters – Matthew 6:24 points out that ‘No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.’

What are some of the things that you have had to give up in the process of this changing of sides? Do you consider yourself to have fully given up these ‘old habits’? Read Romans 6: 1-23 again and think of how Paul encourages us as people who have changed sides. Also, take time to pray about where your loyalties truly lie – and take heed that while we may never escape the temptation to sin, we have a hope in the promise that Christ will come again and a practical confidence that no temptation has seized us except what is common to man; but God is faithful. He will not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear, but when we are tempted He will also provide us a way out so that we can stand up under it (1 Corinthians 10:13).

No comments: